TOP TEN 10 DETOX
As spring swings into gear,
there's no better time to give your body a healthy, fresh start! Plus,
if you're thinking about lowering your weight (and your
"eating clean" is a great first step. Add these 10 foods to your grocery
cart and you'll get three terrific benefits:
1. Lots of super-healthy liquids to flush out the body while pouring
2. Fiber to keep your GI tract fit.
3. Foods that energize cleansing enzymes in the liver, your body's
built-in detox center.
The top 10:
- Green leafy vegetables Eat them raw, throw them
into a broth, add them to juices. Their chlorophyll helps swab out
environmental toxins (heavy metals, pesticides) and protects the
- Lemons You need to keep the fluids flowing to
wash out the body and fresh lemonade is ideal. Its vitamin C,
considered the detox vitamin, helps convert toxins into a
water-soluble form that's easily flushed away.
- Watercress Put a handful into salads, soups,
and sandwiches. The peppery little green leaves have a diuretic effect
that helps move things through your system. And cress is rich in
- Garlic Add it to everything -- salads, sauces,
spreads. In addition to the bulb's cardio benefits, it activates liver
enzymes that help filter out junk.
- Green tea This antioxidant-rich brew is one of
the healthiest ways to get more fluids into your system. Bonus: It
contains catechins, which speed up liver activity.
- Broccoli sprouts Get 'em at your health-food
store. They pack 20 to 50 times more cancer-fighting,
enzyme-stimulating activity into each bite than the grown-up
- Sesame seeds They're credited with protecting
liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals.
For a concentrated form, try tahini, the yummy sesame seed paste
that's a staple of Asian cooking.
- Cabbage There are two main types of detoxifying
enzymes in the liver; this potent veggie helps activate both of them.
- Psyllium A plant that's rich in soluble fiber,
like oat bran, but more versatile. It mops up toxins (cholesterol too)
and helps clear them out. Stir powdered psyllium into juice to help
cleanse your colon, or have psyllium-fortified Bran Buds for
- Fruits, fruits, fruits They're full of almost
all the good things above: vitamin C, fiber, nutritious fluids, and
all kinds of antioxidants. Besides, nothing tastes better than a ripe
mango, fresh berries, or a perfect pear.
Ultimate Detox Recipe:
Toss dark, leafy greens in hot, garlicky oil for a
cleansing and delicious dish...
Easy Wilted Garlic-Sesame Salad
4 servings, about 65 calories each
1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. spinach, stemmed,
or 1 lb. Swiss chard, stems sliced, leaves torn
or 1 lb. mixture of spinach and watercress
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tsp. sesame seeds for garnish
Warm oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and
stir until lightly browned, about 45 seconds. Add greens (do in two
batches, if necessary) and toss until just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.